>From: Peter Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>BTW, I've promised Greg a script to dump the X protocol
>>from binary log, then I was busy and and forgot about it.
>>Is there still any interest in this tool?
>
>What does your script do?  I've used xmon in the (distant) past but
>it is designed to sit in the middle of an X connection.  I think
>Wireshark can decode X11.

It takes a hex dump produced in whatever way (kdump,
strace or maybe tcpdump) and tries to decode the
X protocol fields in it. The dump can be made at either client or server side
and can include both sides
of transmissions (with separators between the portions
of the file).

Converting the output of a tracing tool into a proper
raw hex dump is a separate task. I have a script
that does that with output of SVR4 truss.

The information about the X protocol fields gets taken
from a simplistic parsing of the slightly massaged
X header files.

At some point I neede to trace the X protocol and I didn't
know about the other tools (your e-mail is the first
time I hear about them), so I've made this script.

-SB