Tim Kientzle wrote:
M. Warner Losh wrote:
In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            "Michael Scheidell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: > I presume the servers are all stable (ie not stepping) and : > have a reasonably low delay. If so, I suspect your ntpd PLL : > has locked up. I've seen problems with some versions of ntpd : : 20 different machines?

That would strongly imply a poor choice of upstream server.

It might also help to set up 1 machine as
your NTP master.  Have it sync to the upstream
servers and have the rest of your machines
sync to it.  This won't solve the problem,
but might make it easier to solve (once your
NTP master is stable, the rest should follow).

Except that all 20 are on different physical networks, one in a different content. I went back and looked at out 4.11 systems, and didn't see any 'time reset' errors.

Internally, here at this physical location, we do have one master ntp server, pulling from (3) servers, not two.
All internal systems then pull from this one master.

You can experiment with different upstream
servers, different network settings, different
NTP settings, etc.

only ntp setting that helped was the -x option (adjust once, slew 128m max each other time)
One external box is now 30 seconds out of sync (after 24 hours)

Again, ntp problem is one thing, but what about the nanosleep() issue?
5.4 worked fine, 5.5 has problems.

Did something change in 5.5 with clock() or nanosleep()?
Its not documented in the readme for 5.5.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
SECNAP Network Security / www.secnap.com