2006/8/14, Stanislav Sedov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:32:57 -0400
John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> mentioned:

> You can make use of pcb_onfault to recover from a page fault, but that's
> about it.  Kernel code is expected to not generate exceptions. :)

Thanks a lot! I'll try it.

To clarify:

I've implemented driver to allow user-level code to read MSRs (Model
specific registers) (like linux's /dev/cpu/msr). It's required for
some programs like x86info.

As long as not all MSRs documented and reading/writing unexistent MSR
leads to GP fault, I need to recover in that case.

Mmm, I think that a better approach would be refering to different
MSRs tables for pentium, p6 and Pentium 4 (if I remind correctly they
are which show differences). It is more extensible, portable and
possibly cleaner (I.E: you could port automatically to openbsd/netbsd,
adding new table and make minimum modifies, etc.)

You could find differences in the tables in the Intel manual (vol. 3)
and for undocumented MSRs (if I remind correctly) you could find
informations here:
http://www.x86.org/articles/p5msr/pentiummsrs.htm

or similar sites.

Attilio