On 12/3/06, Robert Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
If using FreeBSD on i386/amd64 boxes, use PXE.  There are quite a few "instant
setup" web pages out there that tell you how to get it running.  pxeboot makes
life incredibly easy, as you can load kernels, modules, configurations, etc,
over NFS.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge

Thanks for th tips everyone.  My shop has all the VMware tools, and
I've used QEMU, but I prefer to develop on a real box and debug over a
serial port on a second box.  I'll give pxeboot a shot tomorrow.

While we're on this topic, what is the best way to debug kernel
modules.  I would like the ability to kldload my kernel module, set a
couple break points and single step through a section of code (at
least).  I've read Greg Lehey's
http://www.lemis.com/papers/Taiwan/tutorial.pdf but it seems a little
out of date.  From what I gather, the situation with the kernel
debugger has changed since he wrote it.

Kevin