Niclas Zeising wrote:
Garrett Cooper wrote:
Hello,
This may be obvious to some, but after some Googling (apparently with the wrong search terms, perhaps) and reading the gcc/gdb manpages, I can't seem to find out how to get a program to produce core dumps. So I was wondering, is there some simple means to produce core dumps or a set of conditions that I need to adhere to in order to get the OS to core dump the progrdam???
Thanks,
-Garrett

Just kill it with the abort signal (SIGABRT) or some other signal that makes the program dump core. Be aware though that if you are catching or ignoring the signal, this won't work.
Regards!
//Niclas
Wow. I got a lot of interesting ways to kill and force a coredump. Haha... Not quite what I had in mind, but I guess that's what I get for improperly wording the question. Thank you all, the information I've gotten recently is definitely educational and it'll probably end up being useful later!
-Garrett