Kris Kennaway wrote:
On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 08:24:12PM -0500, Jan Knepper wrote:
Tried that and started

dd if=/dev/ad4 if=/dev/ad6 bs=1m

Kernel went in panic and automatic reboot in about an hour... <sigh>

It gets worse... when it does reboot the disk drive will not show in the BIOS, nor does FreeBSD recognize it during boot. The system actually has to be turned off to reset the drive...

This is bad...

Any other suggestions?

Sounds like a bug in the support for your ATA hardware, or your
hardware is broken.  The very least you'll need to do is to obtain a
crashdump and debugging backtrace (see the developers handbook) and CC
it to sos@
Will start working on that (or downgrade to 5.5)... I am testing that and I think although I have not found a documented way of doing that it can be done.

Thanks!
Jan