On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Doug Barton wrote:
Lamont Granquist wrote:

Why are you doing this in the FreeBSD rc scripts directly?  Why not
install cfengine and work on making cfengine play better with
database-driven config?

Indeed. For a "many systems" problem, cfengine is a great tool. I
think the OP is more interested in the "dynamically configured laptop"
problem, which is also an interesting/difficult one, but I don't think
it's a good problem for LDAP to solve. It still feels like "I have
LDAP that I want to use as a solution, so what problem can I point it
at?" to me.

Yeah, I've also found LDAP to be more of a problem than a solution itself. Once the data starts to be dynamically updated and acquires a higher rate of change you no longer have a 'directory service' that you're working with and MySQL becomes a better tool than LDAP. System config has a way of creeeping into becoming more dynamic over time, particularly when you start logging audit trails in the database, success codes, error conditions, state machines, etc.

And if you're looking specifically at the /etc/rc.conf config file, what
would be more useful would be an /etc/rc.conf.d/ directory.

Good news for you, we already support that. :) I agree that it makes a
great tool for the "many systems" problem, and could reasonably be
used for part of the "dynamic laptop" problem too.

7-current feature? I'm not seeing it in rc.conf(5) on my RELENG_6-ish system...

That gets
away from the need to tweak and edit the /etc/rc.conf config file with
multiple inputs tweaking a single file.  Instead you can drop whole
orthogonal fragments into /etc/rc.conf.d/inetd to manage the inetd
config which would make it more friendly to radmind-like approaches.  It
also makes it easier to use with cfengine since orthogonal cfengine
modules aren't doing editfiles touches to the same files.

Yes yes yes all around. At one time I suggested that we add support
for /usr/local/etc/rc.conf.d and encourage port authors to drop files
in there, but I didn't get much enthusiasm for it. Perhaps it's time
to revisit that?

sounds great to me, but i don't have the CFT

The
/etc/cron.d directory that (most?) linux distros have is similarly very
useful to drop in files that contain completely orthogonal config (and
may be written by entirely different config management tools -- e.g.
system config management vs. application deployment/management), and the
/etc/periodic functionality is not flexible enough to cover all cases.

That's not a bad idea, but you'll have to find some other huckleberry
to address it, I've got my hands full at the moment.

yup, hear ya.