In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Vulpes Velox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:
> LDAP is nice organizing across many systems, but if you are just
> dealing with one computer it is complete over kill for any thing.

In that situation, it's not merely overkill, it's may actually be a
bad idea. Can you say "AIX SDR"? How about "Windows registry"?

Those system both took the approach of putting all the configuration
information in a central database. This creates problems because the
tools needed to examine/fix the config database require a complex
environment - at least compared to a statically linked copy of
ed. LDAP may not be so bad, but it still makes me nervous.

On the other hand, if you've got a flock of boxes to manage, having a
way to tell the rc subsystem "Go read config values from this LDAP
server" seems like a very attractive alternative.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.mired.org/consulting.html