Yar Tikhiy wrote:
Hi,

Recently noticed that our sed(1) differs from its GNU analog in
that in -i mode it considers all files as a single sequence of lines
while the latter treats each file independently.  The in-line mode
isn't in POSIX, so it isn't really clear which way is correct.

Here is a couple of practical consequences:

- our sed won't act on a numeric range of lines in each file,
  as in: sed -i '' 2,5d *, which may be counter-intuitive.
- our sed's line ranges can span file boundaries in -i mode.

If the second feature isn't important, I think we should use
a separate line space for each file edited in-line, which is
usually desired.

Comments?

P.S. Attached are a test script and outputs from it for our
sed and GNU sed as found in a Linux I have access to.

I believe the GNU interpretation of lines in -i makes sense.

Diomidis - dds@