Kris Kennaway wrote:

> First figure out what specific problems need to be solved, then figure
> out how to solve them, not the other way around.  So far I have seen
> little discussion of how SQLite is necessary and sufficient for fixing
> fundamental issues.  The argument in favour of SQL seems to boil down
> to "It's SQL!  You can do more complex queries...if you wanted to".

I've posted some general ideas (resulting from my experience using the
package / port system, not developing for it):

1. speed and simplicity of querying (single query vs traversing a tree
of text files)
2. formal data constraints (UNIQUE, CHECK)
3. transaction safety (a consequence of which is the ability to run
concurrent installs / updates)
4. easy interface for 3d party tools

I admit again that I didn't develop anything with the package / ports
subsystems, so there might be other, bigger problems not solvable by
sqlite, but I believe the features above could at least solve
performance problems.

(I also agree there's no point in changing the ports infrastructure
itself, just the package tracking database in base system).