Garrett Cooper wrote:
Mike Meyer wrote:
In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hartmut Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:
1. make and its sub-makes for a) reading the file; b) parsing the file
(note that .if and .for processing is done while parsing); c) processing
targets.

Make and submakes have been gone over already. See <URL:
http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/books/rmch/ >.

I'm not sure it can be applied to the ports tree, though. I haven't
looked into it, but recalled this paper when you mentioned measuring
makes and sub-makes.

    <mike

Reducing the number of variables will certainly cut down on the amount of overhead in the make/submake context switches by a long shot.

Maybe someone should consider running a 'pre-make' using the .mk files, find the variables of interest for all particular sub-ports, and then carry on the 'root make', i.e. make process in each port directory, with just the variables of interest.

-Garrett

s/long shot/possibly a lot/g

Also, I was thinking in particular of the X.Org 7.2 packages, because the bulk majority of the packages are smaller, and compile in a short amount of time.

-Garrett