So who, exactly, is the best person to write to requesting
docs for AMD/ATI graphics/video chips?

We need to politely inform them that

        There are a lot of operating systems out there,
        and they all need high quality, fully functional drivers.
        FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Plan-9, Open-Solaris, ...

        We might want to add a ATI graphics/video card to a computer
        with a different CPU architecture (Alpha, Sparc, PPC, ...)

        Binary drivers are useless, because:
                Too many OSes.
                Too many CPU archs.
                Can't fix bugs.
                Can't fix security holes.
        Therefore we need documentation on how to program the chips.

        2D is not enough.  We need video decoding and 3D.

        If we can't have high quality, fully functional source code drivers
        for the OS and CPU arch of our choice, then there is no reason to
        buy the product.

Have I left out anything?