Thank you all for your advices, I will take a try with AMD64.

I'm always impressed by the support on the FreeBSD mailinglist, continue your good work.

Martin

Stefan Lambrev a écrit :
Hi,

Martin Turgeon wrote:
Good afternoon,

I just receive 2 PowerEdge servers (a 1950 and a 860) both with 4G of RAM. I installed FreeBSD 6.2 Release i386 on both of them. Unfortunately, only 3,5G is recognized on the 860 and 3,3G on the 1950.
dmesg on 860:
real memory = 3757834240 (3583 MB)
avail memory = 3678318592 (3507 MB)

I am facing a difficult decision. Should I use i386 with PAE enabled in the kernel (I read a lot of warnings using it) or should I go with AMD64? Which branch should I follow?

These servers will be front-end/back-end MySQL(with replication) and Apache servers with BIND, Postfix, Dovecot, PF.
I have NO problems with FreeBSD AMD64, at least not more then I have with i386 versions.

I do not see a problem to run MySQL, apache, BIND,Postfix and PF - as I use them myself for near 2 years under freebsd amd64.

I even can say that at some point amd64 becomes more stable (for me) then i386. The major problem (again for me) is that there is no way to connect 64bit apache under freebsd to Oracle DB.

Saying that I'm quite happy using FreBSD amd64 (even for desktop/laptop machines) and knowing how broken is PAE .. just go for amd64.

There is the detailled configuration of the servers:
PowerEdge 1950
Xeon 5110
4G RAM
PERC 5 Raid controller (mfi)
Dual Broadcom 5708 (bce)

PowerEdge 860
Xeon 3070
4G RAM
LSI Logic Raid controller (mpt)
Dual Broadcom 5750 (bge)
If you still consider PAE check very carefully that all your drivers work OK with PAE kernel!

Thanks a lot for your advice,

Martin