Ivan Voras wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

FWIW, if you just got your new computer with Windows Vista installed and were hoping to dual boot FreeBSD on it, let me tell
you that FreeBSD's bootloader will screw things up.

vista doesn't like:
>> - bootloaders different than the one used by Vista.
>> - Making a non Vista partition active.

I can confirm this - messing with the boot sector will make Vista unbootable, but it can be repaired with the installer (of course, you lose FreeBSD at that point). It seems Vista uses registry or some other binary format to store boot info (as opposed to WinXP which uses a text file...) and it protects the boot loader for "DRM" reasons.

This has been SOP at Microsoft for almost a decade. If you want to dual-boot Windows, the solution is to use the established methods for adding additional boot options to the built-in Windows boot-loader. For Vista, this means using the BCDEdit command-line tool to manipulate the Boot Configuration Data in the system registry rather than Notepad to edit boot.ini.

BCDEdit and its options are detailed on MSDN:

A slightly more useful discussion of BCDedit on bsdforums.org:

http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48405

It specifies Linux, but this is a tutorial for adding a non-Windows boot option to the Vista Boot Manager:

http://port25.technet.com/archive/2006/10/13/Using-Vista_2700_s-Boot-Manager-to-Boot-Linux-and-Dual-Booting-with-BitLocker-Protection-with-TPM-Support.aspx

--
Darren Pilgrim