Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz wrote:
Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
Garrett Cooper wrote:
As the subject suggests I'm trying to determine how I can daemonize a C process, outside of using the rc infrastructure, so that it won't exit when the TTY exists. Does anyone know any quick references or examples?

I suggest daemon(3) if it doesn't have to be portable.

Or something like this, if it has to be portable or if you don't want
to modify C code :

    nohup /pathto/c-application &

You'll eventually need to add things like redirect stdout to /dev/null...

Ok, many thanks for the suggestions all :). I'm more than happy not to do the double fork(2) solution =\..
-Garrett