Garrett Cooper wrote:
Maslan wrote:
That would be great.
I'll wait for the patch

On Nov 6, 2007 1:01 PM, Garrett Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Maslan wrote:
Package dependencies may change, depending on the user settings and port maintainers configuration for the port (i.e. Makefiles). The same
sort of applies to packages as well.
    Or were you referring to just packages instead of ports based
package metadata :)?
    Or maybe a better question is: what are you trying to accomplish?
-Garrett

The problem is that i always try FreeBSD snapshots, and each time i
did a fresh install, i found my self in need to install xorg & gnome.
so when i use pkg_add -rK xorg or pkg_add -rK gnome, it just keeps the
package itself only without its dependencies, it would be better for
me to keep the packages i use rather than downloading them every time.

The ports has no problem with that, since it leaves all the port
dependencies in /usr/ports/distfiles but i prefer packages than
recompiling every time i install a fresh system something like gnome
would eat my day compiling it.
Hmm... that is indeed silly.

Let me see if I can fire up a patch for that little issue sometime
either next week or the week after to fix that.

-Garrett
That's assuming (IIRC) pkg_add doesn't invoke libfetch related APIs directly and extract straight to the command line. It may take a bit more work than I initially think, but a patch *should* be trivial to create.
-Garrett

The URL provided to this really simple patch should fix the problem for -K not being propagated down child pkg_add processes (http://students.washington.edu/youshi10/posted/pkg_add_keep_flag_prop.patch). I would test it out but my FreeBSD box is still not hooked up to the net, so no dice :(. It's simple enough though that I'm almost 100% positive that it's correct. If the behavior's wrong or slightly askew, please let me know and I'll see if I can hack around the code a bit more. You made a good point though in terms of usage and propagating / whitelisting options from parent to child (master to slave?) copies of pkg_install apps. I'll write that up for my todo list for the pkg_install rewrite (VLSI's kicking my ass this quarter along with work, so I haven't had a real chance to sit down and make a plan for developing pkg_install).
Cheers,
-Garrett