Redirected from freebsd-questions after no reply.

I currently have an SATA DVD-RW drive for my computer. I have to boot using a CURRENT kernel to get the drive recognized, and dmesg lists it as running at 3.3MB/s. Running mplayer -dumpstream gets around 3 megs a second. Copying off a data dvd gets about the same. But I recall reading about playing a dvd before trying to get the data off of it when using dd, and it seems to work. But the odd part is, it can get up to 20 megabytes a second. Does anyone know how to get the higher speeds all the time?