On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Andrea Campi wrote:

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 10:20:28PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I'm considering developing a policy/module for TrustedBSD loosely based on the systrace concept - A process loads a policy and then executes another program in a sandbox with fine grained control over what that program can do.
Please note that the 'policy' given on the command line is purely for the sake of example, no syntax or semantics have been decided upon.

Can't comment on the implementation or wider issues, but if you pursue this, please have a look at how MacOS Leopard does it (Seatbelt). Would be nice to converge on both syntax (a Schema dialect) and tools names / command line args--or if converging is not possible, at least know where and why and make a conscious decision.

FYI, Seatbelt is based on the Mac OS X port of the TrustedBSD MAC Framework, which while it has some significant changes (some now present in the 8-CURRENT branch of FreeBSD), may well be a good starting point. Last I checked, the source for Seatbelt wasn't yet available, but there was hope it would be available in the near future. A port of the policy to FreeBSD sounds like it would be very interesting to do, and might provide a nice starting point rather than having to write up a policy from scratch.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge