On Dec 27, 2007, at 4:37 PM, Brooks Davis wrote:

On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 04:30:40PM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knew of a good BSD license compatible key-based
hash placement / retrieval algorithm that was available anywhere.
I'm looking for a reliable way to lookup objects to see if a given action
would be performed in my revised pkg_install(1), to thus efficiently
pre-plan out the installation dependencies and fully utilize
multiprocessing capabilities of contemporary machines / eliminate duplicate
dependency install requirements.
I know I can use tree structures or hash(3), but I want to avoid trees
(inefficient with large data sets of course) and I was looking for a
non-BDB based solution (for right now, with this given structure as I don't want to write everything to disk). Later on it might be a good idea to cache the results using BDB on disk, but for now I was just wondering if
there were any non-BDB based hashing solutions that anyone knew of.

We imported hash(9) from Open/NetBSD recently. It may do what you want.

-- Brooks

Brooks,
Looks promising, but how difficult would it be to port the code to other platforms (Win32 for instance?). If possible (and this is lower prio because FreeBSD has a lot more apps available as pkgs / ports compared to Win32), I'm looking for a solution that would be easily portable, as I'm trying to effectively kill two birds with one stone by programming an equivalent generalized app / infrastructure for my current job (large scale Windows administration and staying on top of software updates is a pain with and without M$ products), and maybe for open market as well.
Thanks,
-Garrett