Metin KAYA wrote:
   Yes Rick, I'm asking this "indefinitely" issue. Is there anything
   that handle this NULL situation a signal, or etc.? How does Linux or
   FreeBSD behave?

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 08:52:48PM +0200, Metin KAYA wrote:
  How select(2) will behave if I give the "utimeout" parameter as
  NULL?

According to the man page:

     If timeout is not a null pointer, it specifies the maximum interval to
     wait for the selection to complete.  System activity can lengthen the
     interval by an indeterminate amount.

     If timeout is a null pointer, the select blocks indefinitely.

     To effect a poll, the timeout argument should not be a null pointer, but
     it should point to a zero-valued timeval structure.

-- Rick C. Petty

-- Metin KAYA EnderUNIX Software Developer Endersys Software Engineer
http://www.EnderUNIX.org/metin        http://www.Endersys.com/
Nevermind -- yes, block indefinitely, which implies that the program won't proceed until it receives an umasked signal and exits or a file descriptor becomes available in the 'infinite' time frame.

That would essentially be the same as listen or send though with blocking sockets, correct?

-Garrett