On Mar 17, 2008, at 3:15 PM, Murray Stokely wrote:

The FreeBSD Project was again accepted as a mentoring organization for the Google Summer of Code. The student application period will begin next week so if you have any ideas for great student projects, please send them to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or post them here for discussion. A good student project has a well defined purpose, some key FreeBSD developers that could
be identified as potential mentors, and is feasible for a student to
complete in a few months time. The existing ideas list is available here :

http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/

If you can suggest something (getting specific parts of valgrind working on FreeBSD?) then please provide information in the form of the other projects
listed on the page as far as difficulty level, requirements, etc..

Thanks,

       - Murray

"Sysinstall" - Isn't this being handled to some extent? I remember someone posting an RFC a few months ago. They may need a helping hand in coding stuff up, but it sounded like there was a plan already in place.

"Improving the USB stack in FreeBSD" - Wasn't HFS working on that too? Duplicating work might not be a good thing..

"FAT (msdosfs) infrastructure work" - (extension) Microsoft is coming up with a new extension to VFAT (they're calling it x-FAT), which supports large devices. There's also FATX (Xbox based FAT-spinoff FS). I was just thinking that combining the three into a base library with individual extensions might be a good idea.

"NTFS - sync FreeBSD up with ntfs project" - NTFS support in FreeBSD is a bit out of date, and panics on some platforms with some configurations. Bringing NTFS in the kernel / userland up to date would be a welcome improvement for many users.

FYI, I'm still working on the following items:
1. "Add hashed .db support to pkg_tools" (accepted)
2. "Utility for safe updating of ports in base system" (assumed)
3. "Package tools improvements" (assumed)

Not saying helping hands wouldn't be welcome with my work, but I owe FreeBSD / GSoC as much of my time for last year and I've committed myself to seeing my work through.

Thanks,
-Garrett