> > It works fine for me too, using FreeBSD 6-stable and the built-in gcc
> > 3.4.6
> > as well as with gcc 4.2.4 20080305 installed from ports.
> > No need to use -pthreads in either case
>
> This means that this issue is STABLE-7.0 specific.

I am not able to reproduce the problem here; I will compile the
updated sources tonight to check if that changes anything:

# uname -sr
FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE

# g++ --version
g++ (GCC) 4.2.1 20070719  [FreeBSD]

# cat exc.C

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main() {
  try {
    throw string("String");
  } catch (string s) {
    cout << "Caught an exception \"" << s << "\"\n";
  }
}

# g++ -o exc exc.C
# ./exc