Kostik Belousov wrote:
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 02:41:29PM -0400, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:41 AM, Dominic Fandrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately it seems that Csaba's patch only
allows you to stall shutdown for 10 seconds. After heavy writing
more than a minute can be necessary to prevent data loss.

I have created a problem report: ports/124901

I hope this will make it. To me data loss and file system corruption
are the worst case scenario and to me it's worth stalling shutdown
for as long as it takes to write the data.

The shutdown watchdog timer is something I've had to adjust many times for
many different ports. Given this;

I propose we have (at least) a new rcorder script variable.  Something like
"SHUTTIME" encoding the expected number of seconds required for the daemon
to shutdown in the worst case.

Ideally, you'd want an overall watchdog and a per-script watchdog (so that
you're not waiting the sum of all these times in most cases).

We already have rcshutdown_timeout, see the rc.conf(5) and description
of the sysctl kern.init_shutdown_timeout.

He knows that. He just wants something more fine-grained. And
rcshutdown_timeout has to be set by the user.

Following Zaphod's suggestion I'd like to have a more generous watchdog default
(maybe 3 minutes) and a per script watchdog that defaults to something around
30 seconds, but can be changed in the rc script.

I'll give that a try tonight.