Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 09:40:11PM +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 03:57:00PM +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
Hi,
        I'm trying to find out why there is no frequency info.
ie:
sunfire> sysctl dev.cpu.0
dev.cpu.0.%desc: ACPI CPU
dev.cpu.0.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.0.%location: handle=\_PR_.P001
dev.cpu.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
dev.cpu.0.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/0
dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest: C1
dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00%

so any help/insight is most welcome.

BTW, its 7.0-stable
Is the cpufreq device in your kernel config?  Do the SunFire X2200's
provide any sort of frequency data in their ACPI tables?  Are there BIOS
settings which are relevant to this board enabling Cool'n'Quiet or
anything else of that nature (thus inducing the use of powernow(4))?

device is configured:
config -x /boot/kernel/kernel | grep -a cpufreq
device  cpufreq
the BIOS has powernow enabled (or something similar).
the kernel prints:
powernow0: <PowerNow! K8> on cpu0
powernow0: STATUS: 0x3106120806120212
powernow0: STATUS: maxfid: 0x12
powernow0: STATUS: maxvid: 0x06
the same is repeated for cpu 1,2,3,4,5,6 & 7 - yes it's a dual quad.

which seem to indicate that it didn't like the ACPI data it got - this by
comparing with other amd's that do report correctly.

as to the question '...any sort of frequency data in their ACPI tables'
I tried to 'read' the ACPI data, but didn't understand the language :-(

First and foremost, please don't remove the mailing list from the CC
line; others need to know the technical details.

I don't have an answer for you, however.  Nate Lawson might have some
ideas as to what's going on.  A verbose boot may be needed.  I've
CC'd Nate here.

Looks like someone should check the AMD datasheets and/or acpidump. I'm currently not an active committer though.

--
Nate