On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, FreeBSD Hackers wrote:

If anyone is willing to help me understand this, I would greatly appreciate
it.  I would also value your input if there are other resources (people,
mailing lists, books, web pages, etc.) that you want to recommend instead of
taking some time to help teach me.

As a slightly less orthodox suggestion, I learned a lot of this from the "practice" side rather than the "theory" side, and it seems like maybe this is where some of your questions lie. In addition to a textbook, you might find it useful to get a copy of the manual for your favorite CPU, which will explain, at the level of assembly language, how all these features work. (They are usually available free on the manufacturer's website, though you may have to hunt around a bit or register for a developer program or something.) You can read it in conjunction with the FreeBSD kernel source to see an actual example. I found this approach very instructive.

--

Nate Eldredge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]