Varshavchick Alexander wrote:
I have an old enough server with FreeBSD 5.4 which from time to time complains about filesystem full. But the problem is that the partition in question has about 15G free space and more than 10000000 free inodes. Then all by itself the error dissapears, only to be repeated several hours later. What can it be and where to look? The server runs mainly apache and sendmail, nothing special.

I don't know for sure, but here's some generic troubleshooting:

a) Are you 100% sure there isn't an application that periodically fills the drive? This would be easiest to solve - all other problems are worse.
b) How is your IO rate at the time you run out of space?
c) Did you try fsck-ing the file system?
d) Why can't you upgrade to a more recent version of FreeBSD, like 7.1?