Quoting Marius Nünnerich <mar...@nuenneri.ch> (from Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:54:44 +0100):

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 08:51, Alexander Leidinger
<alexan...@leidinger.net> wrote:
Quoting Nate Eldredge <neldre...@math.ucsd.edu> (from Tue, 10 Mar 2009
19:02:16 -0700 (PDT)):

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, vasanth raonaik wrote:

Hello Team,

I need to debug init process. I am not able to attach init to gdb and it
throws

As others mentioned, this is explicitly disabled.  You could re-enable it
by hacking the kernel, but it could cause other unexpected problems.

Alternatively, there's always "printf debugging".

What is wrong with init, that you need to debug it?  It's a fairly simple
program that's been around for a long time and should be pretty stable.

If this is on -current and depending on the problem, dtrace may be an option
(I don't know if it special-cases init or not).

DTrace is not available for userland processes yet.

Depending on what is needed (it may not be needed to attach gdb, it may be sufficient to have something like ktrace, the OP didn't specify the problem), DTrace may suit the needs.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Your true value depends entirely on what you are compared with.