Andriy Gapon wrote:
> Recently I tried to hot-attach a SATA drive to a running system.
> Controller is ICH9 in AHCI mode. Physically/electronically everything went
> smoothly, the drive spun-up. Then I tried to detach and re-attach all channels
> with no devices on them using atacontrol. I did it 3 times to be sure, but no
> new
> disk showed up. Then I finally rebooted, the disk showed up OK.
>
> Question: was hot-attach expected to work? Is there a limitation in hardware
> or in
> our driver?
>
> Note: I attached the drive to a regular SATA port, not eSATA.

Which system version do you use? With recent CURRENT I have successfully
tested insert/remove SATA drives with ICH8, ICH8M and JMB363 AHCI
controllers channel attach/detach. Theoretically it is possible to
insert/remove SATA drives even without channel attach/detach. Remove
works fine, but such really hot insertion functionality is not
implemented properly now and so blocked.

--
Alexander Motin