On Wednesday 13 May 2009 7:47:38 pm Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Coverity complains about the lack of error checking in the following
> code in sys/kern/kern_sysctl.c, around line 1390:
>
>       /*
>        * Touch all the wired pages to avoid PTE modified
>        * bit emulation traps on Alpha while holding locks
>        * in the sysctl handler.
>        */
>       for (i = (wiredlen + PAGE_SIZE - 1) / PAGE_SIZE,
>           cp = req->oldptr; i > 0; i--, cp += PAGE_SIZE) {
>               copyin(cp, &dummy, 1);
>               copyout(&dummy, cp, 1);
>       }
>
> Since Alpha is dead, can we remove this, or is it still needed for other
> platforms?

I would check MIPS as it might have similar PTE bits as well (FOR, FOW) (many
Alpha things are similar to MIPS).  I don't have my See MIPS Run handy or I
would check it myself.  It might be better to replace the loop with a
vm_fault(..., VM_FAULT_DIRTY) though if that would have the same effect.

--
John Baldwin