Alexander Best wrote:
thanks. now the output gets redirected using >. i'm quite new to programming
under unix. sorry for the inconvenience.

so i guess there is no really easy way to output an inhomogeneous struct to
stdout without using a loop to output each array contained in the struct.

cheers.

I think you are asking for a print command, that when given a structure, can look at the data type of each element of the structure, and produces the appropriate print command for each data type.

I think what you are asking for is antithetical to the philosophy of C - for example, the printf command demands that you tell the printf command what are the data types of the data you give to it.

So I think that the kind of long winded print command you are advocating is the correct way to do it.

Stephen