On Sat, 12 Sep 2009, Giulio Ferro wrote:

I don't know if this is the correct list to discuss this matter, if not
I apologize in advance.

freebsd-questions might have been better, but I don't think you're too far off. It wasn't necessary to post three times though :)

[On UFS, files are created with the same group as the directory that contains them. On ZFS, they are created with the primary group of the user who creates them.]

What I ask now is: is this a bug or a feature?

Both, I think :)

The behavior you describe on UFS (group comes from the directory) is standard for BSD-based systems like FreeBSD. On SysV-based systems, however, the default is that the group comes from the user, as you describe on ZFS. ZFS was originally developed for Solaris, a descendent of SysV, so it's not surprising that it also has this behavior. However, this is at least a documentation bug, since the open(2) man page describes the BSD behavior without mentioning exceptions.

How can I achieve my goal in ZFS, that is allowing members of the same
group to operate with the files / dirs they create?

On SysV, you can get BSD-type behavior by setting the sgid bit on the directory in question, e.g. "chmod g+s dir". Then new files will inherit their group from the directory. I suspect this will work on FreeBSD/ZFS too even though "chmod g+s" on a directory is undocumented.

--

Nate Eldredge
n...@thatsmathematics.com