On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:42:22 +0100, Ed Schouten <e...@80386.nl> wrote:
> Hello Alexander, others,
>
> * Alexander Leidinger <alexan...@leidinger.net> wrote:
>> The practical attitude should be coordinated with ed@ (CCed), as he
>> switched the console in 9-current to be an xterm, and AFAIR it does
>> not support as much colors as the real xterm. Maybe there is a
>> reason to not update it.
>
> So the idea is to make TERM=xterm use 256 colors? Even though I think
> having more colors would be awesome, I think many things would break.

How about an "xterm" entry with 8 fg and 8 bg colors and a separate
"xterm-256color" entry with 256 colors?  I know, from our personal chat
sessions, that the original drive behind Leonidas' patch to termcap was
to make it possible for Emacs and vim to highlight/format code with more
than 8 colors.  This *is* useful for X11-based xterm windows but it may
be less useful for vty terminals.