Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 07:34:59PM +0100, Juergen Lock wrote:
 Ok here is a new version of the patch with these things fixed and the
Linux case added:  (Linux case not tested yet, and yes I did this on
stable/8.)

Why the check at all? Shouldn't devices that don't allow seek fail that?
E.g. for devices, just try to seek ahead and fallback to normal reading?

That was the initial implementation in libarchive, but
I had a number of reports of that not working for
tape drives.  I recently dug out and connected an
old DDS drive I had in the closet, so I should
probably try again and see if I misunderstood
something along the way.

Tim