>So this is arguably a Python bug. Did you contacted anybody who cares about
>the Python ?

I did not, mainly because this link:

http://bugs.python.org/msg61870

seems to imply they are already aware of the problem. I agree it must be a
Python bug though. It worked in 2.5.1 but not in 2.5.5 and later, so clearly
they changed how processes are launched from threads that has led to this
problem. One should not have to be forced to make explicit calls to change the
signal mask in order to launch an external app. Granted, we've only had this
issue with ntpd--other apps launch fine--but there is clearly something wrong
somewhere for even one app to hang when it is spawned as a thread.