On 03/05/10 20:14, Kevin Day wrote:

> Recently I bumped into something very weird. In some CPU heavy workloads,
> FreeBSD ran faster inside VMware's ESX hypervisor than it did running
> natively on bare metal. Simple pure CPU applications (such as "openssl
> speed") would run 10-30% faster on VMware. This seemed very counterintuitive,
> until I discovered what I believe to be the cause.
>
> Intel Nehalem and i5/i7 processors have a feature called "Turbo Boost", where
> the more cores that are inactive (ACPI states C2 or C3) the higher the clock
> rate of the active cores. In some processors increasing the clock speed by
> more than 1ghz. On a hunch, I disabled turbo boost (through the BIOS) on our
> ESX system, and this brought the speeds back on par with the bare metal
> FreeBSD box.
>
> So, it seems that the VMware hypervisor is deactivating cores on the CPU when
> idle, but FreeBSD itself isn't. Is anyone working on giving FreeBSD's idle
> loop/scheduler the ability to go into deeper sleep states? It seems this
> would have more than just a power savings benefit now.
>
> Intel documentation on Turbo Boost:
> http://download.intel.com/design/processor/applnots/320354.pdf?iid=tech_tb+paper

Howdy Kevin, :)

Back in December I started a thread on a related topic because my C2D
laptop running -current was running much hotter than usual. Several
people were kind enough to offer me suggestions about tuning that I
think might be applicable in your situation. I think someone else
already gave you the URL http://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption
which was very helpful. Here is what I ended up with after some fiddling
with the recommendations from there, and from those kind enough to help me:

/boot/loader.conf:
hw.pci.do_power_nodriver=3

hint.p4tcc.0.disabled=1
hint.acpi_throttle.0.disabled=1

hint.apic.0.clock=0
kern.hz=100
hint.atrtc.0.clock=0

hint.pcm.0.buffersize=65536
hint.pcm.1.buffersize=65536
hw.snd.feeder_buffersize=65536
hw.snd.latency=7

/etc/rc.conf:
powerd_enable="yes"     # Run powerd to lower our power usage.
powerd_flags="-a adaptive -b adaptive -n adaptive"

performance_cpu_freq="NONE"     # Online CPU frequency
economy_cpu_freq="NONE"         # Offline CPU frequency

performance_cx_lowest="C3"     # Online CPU idle state
economy_cx_lowest="C3"         # Offline CPU idle state

hth,

Doug

                        -- Propellerheads