On 04/19/10 20:42, Nicola Gigante wrote:

Hi
But in particular I'm interested in the disk/raid controller. The machine's
technical details say it ships with a
motherboard based on the Intel 3420 chipset. Is it supported by FreeBSD? Is its
RAID controller supported
(assuming that's the chipset that handles RAID)?

The Chipset can operate in 3 Modes: IDE, AHCI and RAID. Depending on the mode it has different PCI-IDs.

It is said to support (driver-)raid, but I don't use it.

When set to AHCI-Mode, the pci-id is 0x3b22. I use AHCI and it is supported by ahci in FreeBSD.

In case the RAID controller should result unsupported, would that mean that I
can't even use the disk controller
at all?
if it is not supported, you simply can't use it.

Regards,
 Michael!