On 02/10/2014 03:18 PM, John Baldwin wrote:
On Saturday, February 01, 2014 3:44:07 pm Tim Daneliuk wrote:
<SNIP>

Now, if I could just figure out how to get stock X to
run at 1920x1080 on HD4600 graphics.  Apparently neither the
intel of vesa drivers know how to do this, or at least I've
had no luck with it.  The intel driver doesn't even recognize
the hardware as something it supports.

"X on a server?" you say?  Yes, for intermittent use of fluxbox
to run a bunch of xterms.

For the Intel graphics you want to use i915kms.  However, you need to build
your ports with 'WITH_NEW_XORG=yes' set in /etc/make.conf.  There are more
details about this on the wiki.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

I've been considering this, but I have a few more questions, if I may:

- There was a time when the new Xorg stuff did not play well with VTYs.
  Is this still the case or has it been resolved?

- If I were to set this option in make.conf, is it sufficient to simply
  force a recompilation of every port on the machine via portupgrade,
  or is there a better way?

TIA,