Hi all,

I've been using dummynet for a while to perform degraded network testing which
has been really useful.

Recently, we wanted to measure the performance limits of it on our
hardware. To do this we setup a machine with 8 interfaces paired into 4
ethernet bridges.

We are having throughput issues when more than 2 pipes are being used
simultaneously. These issues appear to be independent of the bandwidths
specified.

For example:
We set two traffic generators transmitting at 30Mbps across two of the bridges
(pipes), sending 1000 byte UDP packets (1042 bytes on the wire) for a 20 second
period.

These are passed through dummynet pipes set up to restrict the bandwidth to
20Mbps at the bridge and we can see from the ipfw counters that all the packets
hit the right rules and only the right rules.

We the capture on the far end and can see that bandwidth has been restricted to
20Mbps as specified.  All good!  :o)

The problem comes when we add any extra flows.

The above example is repeated but with two extra traffic generators
transmitting at just one packet per second each across a further two pipes.

Again we can see from the counters that the packets all arrive at ipfw, however
we only get 10Mbps at the receiving end (and we get a number of packet_drops
logged at dummynet).

We feel we must have missed something obvious but after over a week of reading
/ testing we're running out of ideas.

Is anyone able / willing to help?

Mark Sandford

email: j.m.sandf...@hotmail.co.uk