----- Forwarded message from Harkirat Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----
> I want to measure UDP thruput of lossy channel, is there any tool
> which tests it? I looked at some of the tools but these do not take care
> of loss, I mean no retransmisson, just measure raw thruput of UDP (TTCP
> is one of these).
>
> I am looking for a measurement tool which should retransmit in case of
> loss and keep a track of packets, I mean make UDP reliable amd blocking
> calls.
----- End forwarded message -----

As many have pointed out, the reliability of UDP is accomplished
at the application layer.  Hence, any test of this nature is going
to test the application implementation as much as the nature of
the protocols, per se.

Both ttcp and netperf have the ability to use either TCP or UDP.
The behavior of TCP is, I think well understood.  OTOH, I don't
think you should discount the use of ttcp's/netperf's UDP method.
Rather consider the receiver's measurement as an upper bound of
what a particular retransmitting UDP implementation can acheive.

As has been pointed out, the UDP_RR method for netperf looks
interesting, but the documentation is scant.  Use the source, Luke.

--
Clark K. Gaylord
Blacksburg, Virginia USA