Julian Elischer writes:

 > On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
 >

 > > Archie Cobbs writes:
 > >  > Luigi Rizzo writes:
 > >  > > > Is if_tx_rdy() something that can be used generally or does it only
 > >  > > > work with dummynet ?
 > >  > >
 > >  > > well, the function is dummynet-specific, but I would certainly like
 > >  > > a generic callback list to be implemented in ifnet which is
 > >  > > invoked on tx_empty events.
 > >  >
 > >  > Me too :-)
 > >  >
 > >  > > The problem as usual is that you have to touch every single device
 > >  > > driver... Fortunately we can leave the ifnet structure unmodified
 > >  > > because i just discovered there is an ifindex2ifnet array which is
 > >  > > managed and can be extended to point to additional ifnet state that
 > >  > > does not fit in the immutable one...
 > >  >
 > >  > Why is it important to avoid changing 'struct ifnet' ?
 > >
 > > To maintain binary compatability for commercial network drivers.
 > >
 > > Currently, network driver modules built on 4.1.1 work on all versions
 > > of FreeBSD through 4.5-STABLE.
 > >
 > Not QUITE true..
 >
 > they ar ebroken in some cases for 4.4 amd 4.5 due to a renumberring
 > of SYSINIT orderings, but I fixed that and they should work in 4.6
 > again..  I know we hit it here with some cards we have..
 > I just made a small patch in teh local trees to allow us to use them.
 >
 > Some cards may not hit this problem.

I've never tried loading our driver at boot (we have customers load it
manually, or via a /usr/local/etc/rc.d script very late in boot).
4.5 works fine for us.

There was a bit of breakage just after 4.5 when for ARP support for
variable length link level addresses was MFCed, but I caught that
early..

Drew