On Mon, 02 Dec 2002, Juan Francisco Rodriguez Hervella wrote:

> Helge Oldach escribió:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > I wonder whether there are plans to complete implementation of the
> > "strong ES" model as described in RFC 1122 for multihoming hosts on
> > FreeBSD. Essentially this would assure that a multihomed host would
> > send and receive IP packets through the "correct" interface (that is,
> > the physical interface that is configured with the IP address used in
> > the packets).
> >

> I don't like the strong ES model. IMHO, with weak ES model we can
> obtain the best of multihoming benefits. the strong ES model
> makes use of source routing, which might forbid the communication
> where it could be possible.
>
> I don't see why a host should discard a packet for him, only
> because it has arrived at other interface.

   I see good reasons indeed. For example when I bind a daemon on a
   given IP, I have sometimes good reasons to have the multihomed
   host discard packets coming from the 'wrong' interface. As long as
   the model (strong vs weak) is tunable via a sysctl (as it is already
   with net.inet.ip.check_interface), I think that this is the perfect
   behavior: I can select whatever fits best my needs in a given
   situation.

   Cheers,

   - yann