Can anyone explain what are interface errors in netstat -I?

I assume they are CRC, undersize frames, etc.
Anyway to get details on which errors are occurring?

Also, I'm now not sure that is what the error counter means - a box doing about 20k pps normally runs with no reported interface errors - however, when the application crashed, it got a spike of input interface errors.

The application crashing should not have affected MAC layer packets, so do interface errors also include some TCP layer errors?