Greetings folks,

It is my understanding that when one makes a call to connect(2) in order
to, for example, make an IPv4 TCP connection to some server, a SYN packet
is sent out, and then, if neither a corresponding SYN+ACK nor any other
kind of (NACK) response is received within some specific (short) period
of time, the connection attempt is retried by sending out another SYN
packet.  My understanding... which may be wrong... is also that there
may in fact be more than one SYN retry made, during an attempt to make a
TCP socket connection, as necessary.  (But I may have misunderstood the
mechanics of such things, in which case I would be grateful for any
corrections to my understanding.)

Anyway, assuming that the above is accurate, then I am inclined to wonder
whether or not anything in FreeBSD provides me with a way to inspect and/or
modify any of the parameters relevant to TCP connect retries.  In particular
I would like to be able to programatically inspect and/or diddle the following
relevant parameters:

    1)  The time period between SYN retries.

    2)  The total number unanswered SYN retries that will be attempted
        before a failure of the connect(2) call will be returned back to
        the userland program.

My (admittedly uneducated) guess is that there are probably some sysctl
parameters that might be used to modify the above low-level protocol
parameters, however after a cursory search for such, I have been unable
to locate any such.  Thus, I would be very grateful if someone could point
me at the relevant sysctl parameters.  Thanks.

P.S.  I should say that I _do_ understand that the relevant RFCs may perhaps
specify some very specific requirements on the two parameters I have mentioned
above, and that deviation from the RFCs with respect to either parameter may
perhaps render one non-RFC-conformant, however for my purposes, that would be
perfectly OK.