<<On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:01:30 -0700, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Signal numbers are typically represented as ints.  Is there anything in
> the kernel that prevents me from, say, calling kill(2) with a second
> argument of, say, 0xdeadbeef, in other words any old random int value
> that I might care to use?

Yes.  Signals are represented, in the kernel and in the API, as bits
in fixed-size bitmaps.

POSIX real-time signals, if we implemented them, would at least give
you the opportunity to queue signals, with unique ancillary data
attached to each instance.  We have all the mechanism to do this in
the user-kernel interface; it's just not implemented in the kernel.

-GAWollman