On 1/20/2005 2:33 AM, Robert Watson wrote:
Try "ifconfig em0 -vlanhwtag" and see if that helps. If not, take a look
in if_em.c:em_setup_interface(), and you'll see two lines like this:

#if __FreeBSD_version >= 500000
        ifp->if_capabilities |= IFCAP_VLAN_HWTAGGING | IFCAP_VLAN_MTU;
        ifp->if_capenable |= IFCAP_VLAN_HWTAGGING | IFCAP_VLAN_MTU;
#endif

Delete the contents "|FCAP_VLAN_HWTAGGING |" from each line, and that
should disable support for hardware vlan tagging and stripping in the
driver. There are several bugs relating to the handling of hardware vlan
tagging and promiscuous mode in both if_re and if_em. I had hoped to have
a chance to resolve them over the past couple of months but have not as
yet been able to do so.

I'm sad to report that neither worked. After doing the ifconfig -vlanhwtag, the interface stopped recieving packets in about an hour.
After deleting IFCAP_VLAN_HWTAGGING and recompiling/rebooting, it worked for about 4 hours, then stopped.

tcpdump sees nothing when it happens.. bringing the interface down; then back up seems to fix it. We've got a cron on the job now :)

-Charlie