On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

I'm confused - don't sparc64 and alpha have similar alignment
requirements?  Why does arm require code changes?

yes, the alignment constraints for arm are the same.. the reason I said the above is only for arm is the epe driver (which is only on an ARM core) has been made to use the new feature...

The changes to ip_input.c will work with other drivers as well... it
just needs to make sure that the proper defines are in amd64 and i386
so that we don't do the fix up when we don't need to...

--
 John-Mark Gurney                               Voice: +1 415 225 5579

Ok, I see what you're saying now, I had forgotten the #ifdef i386 sections we have scattered throughout the network drivers. When I read your original commit, I was thinking about the transmit paths in drivers, which is why m_copyup made no sense to me.

Moving the alignment out of the drivers and into a common place seems like a good idea, but I wonder if it should be done in the ethernet code instead of in the ip code; won't other protocols have unaligned access problems if the change is made exactly as is?

Mike "Silby" Silbersack