[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

--On September 16, 2006 2:04:38 AM -0400 Tim Allender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Not sure if I should post this here or straight to the pfSensse list.
I suspect this kind of thing is a faulty NIC but since I've not seen it
before I'm not sure:

vr0: receive error (81): rx buffer error
vr0: revieve error (0024) no buffers
vr0: receive error (81): rx buffer error
vr0: revieve error (0024) no buffers
vr0: receive error (81): rx buffer error
vr0: revieve error (0024) no buffers
vr0: receive error (81): rx buffer error
vr0: revieve error (0024) no buffers

What NIC is it?
Good question. It's the onboard NIC for a IntelĀ® Desktop Board D850GB. (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d850gb/) You know, one of those one's from about 5 years back when RDRAM looked like it might be promising.
The board uses RDRAM.
It also uses one of those upgrade processor socket extensions to use socket 478 procs (upgraded from socket 423), so that I could put a spare 1.7 p4 in it that I didn't want to go to waste.
I guess I've really squeezed my money's worth out of this old puppy.

Actually, though, (concerning the issue) it seems to have stopped happening now that I've undone most of the traffic shaping rules I had setup. I did leave on "Prioritize VoIP traffic", but disabled all the other rules I'd thrown in for the heck of it.

Seems to be working fine now. (We'll see how the phone holds up).
Maybe it's an issue with the extent to which the NIC supports ALTQ?

I know, the one I setup at the office doesn't do traffic shaping at all.
(old p3 board, onboard NIC not supporting ALTQ, that is).
So, I wanted to try it out at home.

I really want to get the full use out of the traffic shaping, though.
It'll really come in handy at the office.

I'm going to order a few NICs, for this purpose and to have some spares on hand. I'm not really sure, though, how to measure the quality of NICs beyond the typical 10/100/1000 rating.

Are there certain NICs recommended to get the most out of ALTQ?

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/