Josh Paetzel wrote:
On Tuesday 05 December 2006 23:52, Brett Glass wrote:
Add a few IPFW "count" rules to count the bytes and packets. Then,
periodically harvest and reset the counters via a cron job and
write the results to a file. You can then prepare tables and charts
which are as simple or as fancy as you please, without resorting to
SNMP (which isn't secure). A little bit of code in your favorite
scripting language will do it. And of course you can output to a
graphing package, though for me a simple histogram using asterisks
has sufficient precision in most cases.

--Brett Glass

Just curious.....but where is he going to run ipfw? I seriously doubt his router can run it, and what good is it going to do him to run it on a machine on the network if the network is switched? It's not going to be able to see any of the traffic other than what that specific machine is sending/receiving.

run ipfw in layer 2 after turning on promiscuous mode and attaching it to a hub.

I do it all the time.