Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
Bruce M Simpson wrote:
Hello,

In preparation for tightening up our handling of INADDR_BROADCAST sends, I ran some brief tests today on the network stack with the attached test code.

I found some inconsistencies when run against 6.2-RELEASE;

1. IP_ONESBCAST breaks if SO_DONTROUTE is specified.

One thing appears to be consistent about the failure mode: bad UDP checksums. dc(4) is being used on the destination end of the test network, so checksum offloading should not be an issue. I am also seeing the wrong destination address being used in most cases. This is intermittent regardless of whether the socket is bound or unbound.
This is consistent with ip_output() treating its internal flag IP_SENDONES as separate from IP_ROUTETOIF. I was skimming an old patch of mine which attempts to implement part of SO_BINDTODEVICE which contains a fix related to this condition.

The fix isn't the right fix so I will revisit this now and hopefully commit a fix shortly.

2. IP_SENDSRCADDR has some other inconsistencies.
a. The option is always rejected if the socket is not bound.
I find this behaviour suspect; the whole point of the option is to specify, for SOCK_DGRAM and SOCK_RAW, the source address of a packet.
b. 0.0.0.0 is always accepted.
A regular interface lookup is used based on destination if this is specified. This appears suspect to me because such an option is redundant.
This is of course a separate issue. Because it's more involved (it concerns the general concept of 'ip unnumbered' in the stack) it needs further consideration before any fix is attempted.

udp_output() will only call in_pcbbind_setup() if a non-INADDR_ANY source address was specified; this is usually obtained from the socket being bound previously. This explains why the IP_SENDSRCADDR option is rejected in udp_output() for an unbound socket. It *will* be accepted if the option contains INADDR_ANY. In this case, normal source address selection takes place.

This is a good use case demonstrating the need for source address selection logic such as is now found in NetBSD.

There is no sanity checking on the IP_SENDSRCADDR option data containing INADDR_ANY; such an option is redundant and is nonsensical for an unbound socket. We should reject the option if it contains INADDR_ANY if and only if the socket is not bound. Implementing such a check is fairly easy and makes sense for this use case. Returning EINVAL in this case seems acceptable according to ip(4).

The option *should* be accepted if the application has bound the socket to a device somehow (oh dear, SO_BINDTODEVICE rears its head again) as DHCP for example needs to override any IPv4 address which may be assigned on an ifnet with 0.0.0.0.

I have some WIP here too.  I'll send it to you later this afternoon.

--
Andre