Folks have been asking about XORP in this thread.

XORP can take a full BGP feed just fine as long as you have enough memory.; for a full default-free-zone feed, you are looking at in the region of 1GB - 1.5GB, perhaps less if you use aggregation.

If you look at the NSDI '05 paper you'll see that it has a number of benefits over existing designs, BGP route propagation in particular should be faster:
   http://www.usenix.org/events/nsdi05/tech/handley.html

The architecture is deliberately structured so that forwarding functionality may be implemented in hardware. I believe XORP may work with the NetFPGA but don't have firm information about this.

IPv6 support is strong as XORP was designed to route IPv6 from the start as a whole suite - multicast support is also strong.

regards,
BMS

[Note: my opinion may be biased as I served on XORP core team for a few years, and still actively contribute code to the project.]